Fixing warped horn scales
(Redirected from Illustrated guide to fixing warped horn scales)
To straighten out horn scales:
- put the scales in boiling water for 20 minutes (protect the blade);
- dry with paper and put some spacers between scales to give them the correct distance and bending;
- clamp scales between two pieces of wood covered with soft paper;
- add more spacers if required, slightly increase pressure and let dry for 48h;
- put scales in oil (I use sweet almond oil) for 24h before cleaning them.
Steps #1 to #4 can be repeated (before going to #5) if required to obtain the proper shape.