Bigelow and Dowse
|Name||The Bigelow and Dowse Company|
|Location||229 Franklin Street, Boston, Massachusetts|
|Dates of Operation||1884 - ?|
|Owners||Samuel A. Bigelow and Charles F. Dowse|
At the turn of the 20th Century, The Bigelow & Dowse Company was one of the largest hardware houses serving the trades in all of New England. They were "direct importers of fine Sheffield and German cutlery".
1872: "Macomber, Bigelow, & Dowse" was formed by John F. Macomber, Samuel A. Bigelow, and Charles F. Dowse after a fire destroyed large sections of Boston and with it every hardware house in the city.
1884: "Bigelow & Dowse" was formed, (unincorporated) after partner John F. Macomber retired on account of illness.
1894: "Bigelow & Dowse" incorporated under Boston law as "The Bigelow & Dowse Company".
January 28, 1903: Franklin Street building destroyed by fire. Rebuilt on original site later that year.